Generate Google Docs from templates on a Salesforce record
Users can generate Google Docs that leverage existing Salesforce data using merge templates with the Document Generation feature.
By automating the process of inserting Salesforce data into a Google Doc, the Document Generation feature eliminates mistakes caused by miskeying data or copying and pasting incorrect information. It allows you to create accurate and robust documentation in a matter of moments.
Note: Generating a document merges current Salesforce data into a predefined template, creates a ContenDocumentLink, a Drive Link, and saves the generated file to your Google Drive.
Generating a Google Doc from an existing merge template
- Access the record where you want to generate a file
- Navigate to the Drive Links component
- Select New
- Select File from Template
- Select one or more template(s) in the template picker
- Optional: Set whether the generated file(s) should be linked to the Salesforce record
- Select a destination option from the dropdown
- When selecting the Select existing folder… option, click the pencil icon to open the picker and select the destination folder
- When selecting the Create new folder… option, enter the name of the folder and click the pencil icon to open the picker and select the parent folder
- Optional: If you’ve selected an existing folder from the picker or created a new folder, uncheck Link destination folder to this record checkbox if you don’t want the folder also linked to the record
- Click Merge; once the file or files are merged, you will receive a success message and the Drive Links will be available in the component