Installation and configuration guide
This article serves as a configuration guide for the Drive Connect Salesforce app. The first section covers the pre-installation and installation of the Drive Connect package. The following sections will walk you through app configuration and completing the Setup Assistant. This app supports Contacts, Person Accounts, and custom objects.
Table of Contents
- Drive Connect Configuration
- Drive Connect Lightning Components
This guide is meant to walk you through configuring your org in a Lightning Experience environment. If using the Salesforce Classic interface, you can switch to Lightning by clicking Switch to Lightning Experience at the top of the page.
Throughout this guide, you will be instructed to navigate through Setup. To do so, you will need to click on the gear to the upper right and select Setup. Once in Setup, you may use the Quick Find box to find and navigate to the appropriate section.
Before using Drive Connect for Salesforce, it is important to consider workstation configuration properties for the best experience and security. Follow the Recommendations and Requirements for All Browsers guidelines to ensure Salesforce’s accessibility and functionality.
Configuring a Domain in Salesforce
In order to enable lightning components, you must ensure your domain is set up in your Salesforce org. For additional help or information on this, you can view our guide on Configuring a Domain in Salesforce.
Installing the Drive Connect Package
- Go to our Salesforce AppExchange Listing and click Get It Now.
- Select a Connected Salesforce Account and click Install in Production.
- Select I have read and agree to the terms and conditions and click Confirm and Install.
- If you are not already logged into the org you wish to install the package into, Salesforce will prompt you to log in with your org credentials.
- Install for Admins Only is recommended — this option allows for controlling access and permissions after the package has been installed. For further information, click here to refer to salesforce documentation on Package Installations.
- Approve Third-Party Access — check off the box and click Continue to start the package installation when the modal appears. As it states, this is to allow data to be sent back and forth between your Salesforce org and Drive Connect:
- api.driveconnect.app — allows for API calls
- api.driveconnect.app — allows for API calls
Drive Connect Configuration
Drive Connect Setup (Setup Assistant)
The Drive Connect Setup Assistant will need to be completed to connect your Salesforce org to your Google Suite account, in order to access Drive files from Salesforce.
- To start the Setup Assistant, navigate to App Launcher > Drive Connect
Note: To alleviate issues accessing Drive Connect features, you must have a domain configured first. Otherwise you must grant tab visibility permissions for the Setup and Template Builder tabs on the setup user’s profile/permission set to access these features.
For more information on creating permission sets and setting permissions please see User Permission and Access.
If installing the application for the first time, you will be automatically prompted to complete the first setup flow automatically.
You will initially be prompted with a welcome to Drive Connect modal. Once ‘Got it’ has been selected the user will only have access to Licensing & Permissions.
Licensing & Permissions
You will need to assign Salesforce users the Drive Connect license as well as the packaged permission sets in order for them to use the app.
- Click the Licensing & Permissions button.
- Assign licenses and permission sets to each user that will need access to the app and its features.
- Close the Licensing and Permissions page by clicking the “X” button on the top right of the screen.
The configured users are now able to use Drive Connect.
Once the user returns setup they will receive a modal that will provide helpful links to articles and configuration pages.
Create a Drive Connect Templates Folder in Drive
- Go to the Template Builder tab once setup is complete.
- Sign into Drive Connect if you aren’t already.
- Name the folder used to store your Drive Connect templates then click the Create Folder button.
- Note: It is recommended to create the folder in a location that all Drive Connect users will have access to, such as a folder shared to the company or a shared drive.
- Once created, you can start building templates for generating documents.
Drive Connect Lightning Components
Manually Adding Components to Desktop Page Layouts
The Drive Links and Drive File components can be added to any object supported by Salesforce Content. This can be done using the steps below or from Initial Configuration in Setup Assistant.
To add the component to a lightning record page, navigate to Setup > Object Manager.
- Select the object to modify.
- Select Lightning Record Pages.
- Select a lightning record page, then click Edit to add the component to an existing lightning page layout. This will launch the Lightning App Builder.
Note: You may also click Edit Page in the Setup dropdown menu from the object record page to get to the Lightning App Builder.
- Once in the Lightning App Builder, from the list of components on the left panel, find the Drive Links and Drive File components under the Custom-Managed components section and drag and drop them onto the page layout.
- The Drive Links component does not require any additional configuration once added to the page layout.
- The Drive File component will require you to search for and select a URL Field (the field that will store the URL of the Drive file to display) once added to the page layout. If you need to add a new URL field to the object, you will need to do so before configuring this component.
- Click the Save button.
- Click Activate from the Page Saved modal or click Activation… from the Lightning App Builder if activation is required.
Note: To add the Drive Links lightning component to Experience Cloud sites, see the Drive Connect for Experience Cloud Sites article.